Two days back we had two “pretty” visitors who ate a piece of banana, a green chilli and drank some water. There is a family of six Ringneck Parrots that keep flitting across the two towers in our condo complex. They chatter constantly while flying across. Very rarely they visit our balcony and my mother keeps hoping they would.
First one of them came to have some water. I immediately took out a piece of banana and two green chillies and left them next to the water container. Two of them came back and not just drank water but also ate the banana :):).
We were so mesmerised that you can’t hear any of us speak in the 75 second video below!
This was a Ringneck Parrot couple – the male Parrot has a black collar and the female is without a collar. Very chivalrous male Parrot … he let his wife eat the banana and he took the green chilli. Very sweet.
We have been keeping a piece of banana everyday now, but the Ringneck Parrots haven’t come back. Am sure they will relent and come back again.
Some interesting facts –
- There are over 350 species of Parrots!
- Parrots are very social birds …
- Parrots have thick tongues, so they don’t need lips to approximate human sounds.
- Apparently seeds are their favourite food. Maybe I will try and keep some seeds out for them.
- Most parrots have really long lifespans.
Please don’t keep Parrots or any birds as pets. It just feels sad seeing them in a cage.
An older post Parrot or Parakeet ? 🙂