A couple of weeks back we had ordered Watermelons from Sanesa. They sent us one green watermelon and one yellow watermelon. I was a bit apprehensive about eating it as we have never seen a yellow watermelon. Then I checked with Varun at Sanesa and he said, these watermelons were from their farm and totally safe to eat.
When we cut open the watermelon, it was nearly all edible with just a thin layer of outer skin. The fruit was super tasty and really sweet ! Watermelons are a huge favourite during summers. They have several health benefits, here are some of them excerpted from this article – The 9 health benefits of Eating Watermelon
- Watermelon has a high water content. This makes it hydrating and helps you feel full.
- Watermelon is a low-calorie fruit high in some nutrients, especially carotenoids, vitamin C and cucurbitacin E.
- Some compounds in watermelon, including cucurbitacin E and lycopene, have been studied for their potential to prevent cancer, though study results are mixed.
- Watermelon has several heart-healthy components, including lycopene, citrulline and other vitamins and minerals.
- Lycopene and vitamin C are anti-inflammatory antioxidants found in watermelon. Inflammation is linked to many chronic diseases.
- Lycopene may help keep eyes healthy and protect against age-related macular degeneration (AMD) thanks to its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Watermelon juice has some potential as a recovery beverage after exercise. Citrulline may be partially responsible for its effect of easing muscle soreness.
- Several nutrients in watermelon are good for your hair and skin. Some help keep skin supple while others protect against sunburn.
- Fiber and water are important for healthy digestion. Watermelon contains both.
Enjoy summers with Watermelons !!