Today am grateful to Amma for passing on her “good sleep” genes to me. While I take after Appa in most of my habits, I didn’t inherit his insomnia.
I always sleep well at night and have very few days when am unable to sleep. Good sleep is as important as breathing because the body repairs itself during this time. There are some steps that one can take to get a good night’s sleep –
1. Do not have any electronics in the bedroom. A TV in the bedroom is not a good idea.
2. Leave the cellphone in the living room when you retire for the day …. all the messages and emails can wait till tomorrow.
3. Eat your dinner early. At the very least, eat a couple of hours before sleeping. We don’t eat after 6.30 pm on most days.
4. If possible sleep at the same time everyday and wake up around the same time. Regularity helps.
5. Invest in a good quality mattress and pillow. Firm mattresses are better than ultra soft ones.
6. Don’t go to bed with your unfinished list of to-do’s.. they can be done tomorrow.
7. Calm your mind by watching your breath … helps to sleep better.
Sleep well. Dream good dreams and wake up refreshed !!